Monday, December 7, 2015

Jim Morrison's Grave & French Pantheon | Paris Day 3 (10/25/15)

Wow this post is so long overdue.  I am going to try to do one post per night this week so I can be caught up before I leave Ireland on Saturday.  This may be difficult because I have a paper due Friday but I am determined!

So my last day in Paris, we got up early and took the metro to the northern part of Paris, to Père Lachaise Cemetery, where Jim Morrison is buried.  Along the way we stopped at a bakery and got a baguette each and some more macarons.  Because the Doors are one of my favorite bands, and I love Jim Morrison (hence my shirtless poster of him in my room, cringing a little bit about that right now), it was great to see where he is buried, and acknowledge his talents.  For some reason, people tie their hair ties to the fences in front of his grave, so naturally I left one too.
Other people also left Jim Morrison-like things, such as a bottle of Jack Daniels.  My friend and I then drank the rest of the champagne we bought the night before near his grave (but we were secretive about it- not sure if it was legal/frowned upon to do that) and had some of the macarons.


Jim Morrison's grave with hair ties.


From top to bottom: caramel, marscarpone, vanilla, caramel. mango, pistachio, and chocolate

We then traveled to the French Pantheon, which was once a church but now functions as a mausoleum.  Because I had a DCU ID, they gave me the EU citizen price- which was free!
Some of the famous people buried in the Pantheon necropolis are Voltaire, Rousseau, Louis Braille, Marie Curie, and, of course, Victor Hugo.  It was an honor to be in a place where so many amazing people were buried.  It was especially great to see not only where Victor Hugo lived, but also where he is buried.


Now I can say I've been to two Pantheons!

After that, we got lunch at a very snooty restaurant, where the waiter took my dessert from me before I was even finished (typical), and then made our way to the airport.  I loved going to Paris and seeing so many iconic places.  It was heartbreaking two weeks later when Paris was attacked, and very scary to think that not only was I not too far away in Dublin, but also that it could've happened while I was there.

I had such an amazing time in Italy and France, and I will treasure these memories for the rest of my life.  It still feels very surreal to me that I was in either country; I guess I just can't believe how lucky I am.  I definitely plan to go back to both countries (especially Italy), but until then, I will have to settle on reminiscing about my adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment